Definitions of basic:
- noun: (usually plural) a necessary commodity for which demand is constant
- noun: a popular programming language that is relatively easy to learn; an acronym for beginner's all-purpose symbolic instruction code; no longer in general use
- adjective: pertaining to or constituting a base or basis
Example: "A basic fact"
- adjective: reduced to the simplest and most significant form possible without loss of generality
Example: "A basic story line"
- adjective: of or denoting or of the nature of or containing a base
- adjective: serving as a base or starting point
Example: "A basic course in Russian"
- adjective: of primary importance
Example: "Basic truths"
Search for basic at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia