Definitions of bell:
- noun: a hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck
- noun: the flared opening of a tubular device
- noun: the sound of a bell being struck
Example: "Saved by the bell"
- noun: United States inventor (born in Scotland) of the telephone (1847-1922)
- noun: English painter; sister of Virginia Woolf; prominent member of the Bloomsbury Group (1879-1961)
- noun: a phonetician and father of Alexander Graham Bell (1819-1905)
- noun: the shape of a bell
- noun: (nautical) each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell; eight bells signals 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o'clock, either a.m. or p.m.
- noun: a percussion instrument consisting of vertical metal tubes of different lengths that are struck with a hammer
- noun: a push button at an outer door that gives a ringing or buzzing signal when pushed
- verb: attach a bell to
Example: "Bell cows"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 854 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #58)
- name: A female given name (common: 1 in 100000 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3143)
Search for bell at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2023 Datamuse