Definitions of bid:
- noun: an attempt to get something
Example: "He made a bid to gain attention"
- noun: (bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make
- noun: a formal proposal to buy at a specified price
- noun: an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
- verb: make a serious effort to attain something
Example: "His campaign bid for the attention of the poor population"
- verb: make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands
- verb: ask for or request earnestly
Example: "The prophet bid all people to become good persons"
- verb: propose a payment
- verb: ask someone in a friendly way to do something
- verb: invoke upon
Example: "Bid farewell"
Search for bid at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia