Definitions of black:
- noun: black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning)
Example: "The widow wore black"
- noun: (board games) the darker pieces
- noun: the quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white)
- noun: a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)
- noun: popular child actress of the 1930's (born 1927)
- noun: British chemist who identified carbon dioxide and who formulated the concepts of specific heat and latent heat (1728-1799)
- noun: total absence of light
Example: "In the black of night"
- verb: make or become black
Example: "The smoke blackened the ceiling"
- adjective: (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame
Example: "Man...has written one of his blackest records as a destroyer on the oceanic islands- Rachel Carson"
- adjective: offering little or no hope
Example: "The future looked black"
- adjective: (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading
Example: "Black propaganda"
- adjective: harshly ironic or sinister
Example: "Black humor"
- adjective: marked by anger or resentment or hostility
Example: "Black looks"
- adjective: of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin
Example: "A great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization- Martin Luther King Jr."
- adjective: extremely dark
Example: "A black moonless night"
- adjective: being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light
Example: "Black leather jackets"
- adjective: (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood
Example: "A face black with fury"
- adjective: soiled with dirt or soot
Example: "With feet black from playing outdoors"
- adjective: dressed in black
Example: "A black knight"
- adjective: (of coffee) without cream or sugar
- adjective: (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin
Example: "The stock market crashed on Black Friday"
- adjective: stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable
Example: "Black deeds"
- adjective: distributed or sold illicitly
Example: "The black economy pays no taxes"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 1587 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #149)
Search for black at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia