Definitions of buck:
- noun: mature male of various mammals (especially deer or antelope)
- noun: United States author whose novels drew on her experiences as a missionary in China (1892-1973)
- noun: a gymnastic horse without pommels and with one end elongated; used lengthwise for vaulting
- noun: a framework for holding wood that is being sawed
- noun: a piece of paper money worth one dollar
- verb: resist
Example: "Buck the trend"
- verb: to strive with determination
Example: "John is bucking for a promotion"
- verb: jump vertically, with legs stiff and back arched
Example: "The yung filly bucked"
- verb: move quickly and violently
- adjective: of the lowest rank in a category
Example: "A buck private"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 6250 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #755)
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 25000 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1205)
Search for buck at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia