Definitions of claim:
- noun: demand for something as rightful or due
Example: "They struck in support of their claim for a shorter work day"
- noun: an informal right to something
Example: "His claim on her attentions"
- noun: an assertion of a right (as to money or property)
Example: "His claim asked for damages"
- noun: an assertion that something is true or factual
Example: "His claim that he was innocent"
- noun: an established or recognized right
Example: "A strong legal claim to the property"
- noun: a demand especially in the phrase "the call of duty"
- verb: demand as being one's due or property; assert one's right or title to
Example: "He claimed his suitcases at the airline counter"
- verb: take as an undesirable consequence of some event or state of affairs
Example: "The accident claimed three lives"
- verb: assert or affirm strongly; state to be true or existing
Example: "He claimed that he killed the burglar"
- verb: lay claim to; as of an idea
- verb: ask for legally or make a legal claim to, as of debts, for example
Example: "They claimed on the maximum allowable amount"
Search for claim at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse