Definitions of clinch:
- noun: (boxing) the act of one boxer holding onto the other to avoid being hit and to rest momentarily
- noun: the flattened part of a nail or bolt or rivet
- noun: a small slip noose made with seizing
- noun: a tight or amorous embrace
- verb: settle conclusively
Example: "Clinch a deal"
- verb: flatten the ends (of nails and rivets)
Example: "The nails were clinched"
- verb: secure or fasten by flattening the ends of nails or bolts
Example: "The girder was clinched into the wall"
- verb: embrace amorously
- verb: hold a boxing opponent with one or both arms so as to prevent punches
- verb: hold in a tight grasp
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #25726)
Search for clinch at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia