Definitions of control:
- noun: the activity of managing or exerting control over something
Example: "The control of the mob by the police was admirable"
- noun: (physiology) regulation or maintenance of a function or action or reflex etc
Example: "The timing and control of his movements were unimpaired"
- noun: a mechanism that controls the operation of a machine
Example: "The speed control on his turntable was not working properly"
- noun: power to direct or determine
Example: "Under control"
- noun: the economic policy of controlling or limiting or curbing prices or wages etc.
Example: "They wanted to repeal all the legislation that imposed economic controls"
- noun: a spiritual agency that is assumed to assist the medium during a seance
- noun: a relation of constraint of one entity (thing or person or group) by another
Example: "Measures for the control of disease"
- noun: discipline in personal and social activities
Example: "She never lost control of herself"
- noun: great skillfulness and knowledge of some subject or activity
- noun: a standard against which other conditions can be compared in a scientific experiment
Example: "The control condition was inappropriate for the conclusions he wished to draw"
- noun: the state that exists when one person or group has power over another
- verb: exercise authoritative control or power over
Example: "Control the budget"
- verb: lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits
Example: "Control your anger"
- verb: verify or regulate by conducting a parallel experiment or comparing with another standard, of scientific experiments
Example: "Are you controlling for the temperature?"
- verb: verify by using a duplicate register for comparison
Example: "Control an account"
- verb: have a firm understanding or knowledge of; be on top of
Example: "Do you control these data?"
- verb: handle and cause to function
Example: "Control the lever"
- verb: control (others or oneself) or influence skillfully, usually to one's advantage
Example: "She is a very controlling mother and doesn't let her children grow up"
- verb: be careful or certain to do something; make certain of something
Example: "Control the quality of the product"
Search for control at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse