Definitions of deaden:
- verb: lessen the momentum or velocity of
Example: "Deaden a ship's headway"
- verb: make vapid or deprive of spirit
Example: "Deadened wine"
- verb: convert (metallic mercury) into a grey powder consisting of minute globules, as by shaking with chalk or fatty oil
- verb: make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation
Example: "Deaden a sound"
- verb: become lifeless, less lively, intense, or active; lose life, force, or vigor
- verb: make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible
- verb: cut a girdle around so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients
Search for deaden at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse