Definitions of develop:
- verb: make visible by means of chemical solutions
Example: "Please develop this roll of film for me"
- verb: expand in the form of a series
Example: "Develop the function in the following form"
- verb: grow, progress, unfold, or evolve through a process of evolution, natural growth, differentiation, or a conducive environment
Example: "A flower developed on the branch"
- verb: cause to grow and differentiate in ways conforming to its natural development
Example: "The perfect climate here develops the grain"
- verb: be gradually disclosed or unfolded; become manifest
Example: "The plot developed slowly"
- verb: elaborate by the unfolding of a musical idea and by the working out of the rhythmic and harmonic changes in the theme
Example: "Develop the melody and change the key"
- verb: grow emotionally or mature
Example: "The child developed beautifully in her new kindergarten"
- verb: gain through experience
Example: "Children must develop a sense of right and wrong"
- verb: move into a strategically more advantageous position
Example: "Develop the rook"
- verb: move one's pieces into strategically more advantageous positions
Example: "Spassky developed quickly"
- verb: superimpose a three-dimensional surface on a plane without stretching, in geometry
- verb: generate gradually
Example: "We must develop more potential customers"
- verb: make something new, such as a product or a mental or artistic creation
Example: "Her company developed a new kind of building material that withstands all kinds of weather"
- verb: create by training and teaching
Example: "We develop the leaders for the future"
- verb: come to have or undergo a change of (physical features and attributes)
Example: "The patient developed abdominal pains"
- verb: change the use of and make available or usable
Example: "Develop land"
- verb: happen
Example: "Report the news as it develops"
- verb: become technologically advanced
Example: "Many countries in Asia are now developing at a very fast pace"
- verb: elaborate, as of theories and hypotheses
Example: "Could you develop the ideas in your thesis"
- verb: work out
Example: "We have developed a new theory of evolution"
- verb: come into existence; take on form or shape
Search for develop at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse