Definitions of dig:
- noun: the act of touching someone suddenly with your finger or elbow
Example: "She gave me a sharp dig in the ribs"
- noun: a small gouge (as in the cover of a book)
Example: "The book was in good condition except for a dig in the back cover"
- noun: the site of an archeological exploration
Example: "They set up camp next to the dig"
- noun: the act of digging
- noun: an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect
Example: "She takes a dig at me every chance she gets"
- verb: turn up, loosen, or remove earth
Example: "Dig we must"
- verb: create by digging
Example: "Dig a hole"
- verb: remove the inner part or the core of
- verb: get the meaning of something
- verb: poke or thrust abruptly
- verb: work hard
Example: "She was digging away at her math homework"
Search for dig at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse