Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of dress:
- noun: a one-piece garment for a woman; has skirt and bodice
- noun: clothing in general
Example: "Fastidious about his dress"
- noun: clothing of a distinctive style or for a particular occasion
Example: "Battle dress"
- verb: arrange attractively
Example: "Dress my hair for the wedding"
- verb: dress in a certain manner
Example: "She dresses in the latest Paris fashion"
- verb: give a neat appearance to
Example: "Dress the horses"
- verb: convert into leather
Example: "Dress the tanned skins"
- verb: put on clothes
Example: "We had to dress quickly"
- verb: provide with clothes or put clothes on
Example: "Parents must feed and dress their child"
- verb: kill and prepare for market or consumption
Example: "Dress a turkey"
- verb: apply a bandage or medication to
Example: "Dress the victim's wounds"
- verb: cut down rough-hewn (lumber) to standard thickness and width
- verb: put a finish on
Example: "Dress the surface smooth"
- verb: put a dressing on
Example: "Dress the salads"
- verb: provide with decoration
Example: "Dress the windows"
- verb: arrange in ranks
Example: "Dress troops"
- verb: decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods
- verb: dress or groom with elaborate care
Example: "She likes to dress when going to the opera"
- verb: cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of
Example: "Dress the plants in the garden"
- adjective: (of an occasion) requiring formal clothes
Example: "A dress dinner"
- adjective: suitable for formal occasions
Example: "A full-dress uniform"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #19717)
Search for dress at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse