Definitions of dust:
- noun: fine powdery material such as dry earth or pollen that can be blown about in the air
Example: "The furniture was covered with dust"
- noun: free microscopic particles of solid material
Example: "Astronomers say that the empty space between planets actually contains measurable amounts of dust"
- noun: the remains of something that has been destroyed or broken up
- verb: remove the dust from
Example: "Dust the cabinets"
- verb: rub the dust over a surface so as to blur the outlines of a shape
Example: "The artist dusted the charcoal drawing down to a faint image"
- verb: cover with a light dusting of a substance
Example: "Dust the bread with flour"
- verb: distribute loosely
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #40863)
Search for dust at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse