Definitions of face:
- noun: the act of confronting bravely
Example: "He excelled in the face of danger"
- noun: a vertical surface of a building or cliff
- noun: the side upon which the use of a thing depends (usually the most prominent surface of an object)
Example: "He dealt the cards face down"
- noun: the striking or working surface of an implement
- noun: the general outward appearance of something
Example: "The face of the city is changing"
- noun: status in the eyes of others
Example: "He lost face"
- noun: the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear
Example: "He washed his face"
- noun: the part of an animal corresponding to the human face
- noun: a part of a person that is used to refer to a person
Example: "He looked out at a roomful of faces"
- noun: a contorted facial expression
- noun: a surface forming part of the outside of an object
Example: "Dew dripped from the face of the leaf"
- noun: impudent aggressiveness
- noun: a specific size and style of type within a type family
- noun: the expression on a person's face
Example: "An angry face"
- verb: turn so as to expose the face
Example: "Face a playing card"
- verb: be opposite
Example: "The two sofas face each other"
- verb: cover the front or surface of
Example: "The building was faced with beautiful stones"
- verb: line the edge (of a garment) with a different material
Example: "Face the lapels of the jacket"
- verb: turn so as to face; turn the face in a certain direction
Example: "Turn and face your partner now"
- verb: present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize
Example: "He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions"
- verb: oppose, as in hostility or a competition
Example: "Jackson faced Smith in the boxing ring"
- verb: be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to
Example: "The building faces the park"
- verb: deal with (something unpleasant) head on
Example: "He faced the terrible consequences of his mistakes"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #64225)
Search for face at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse