Definitions of flip:
- noun: a dive in which the diver somersaults before entering the water
- noun: the act of flipping a coin
- noun: hot or cold alcoholic mixed drink containing a beaten egg
- noun: (sports) the act of throwing the ball to another member of your team
- noun: an acrobatic feat in which the feet roll over the head (either forward or backward) and return
- verb: go mad, go crazy
Example: "He flipped when he heard that he was being laid off"
- verb: turn upside down, or throw so as to reverse
Example: "Flip over the pork chop"
- verb: move with a flick or light motion
- verb: throw or toss with a light motion
Example: "Flip me the beachball"
- verb: lightly throw to see which side comes up
Example: "I don't know what to do--I may as well flip a coin!"
- verb: cause to move with a flick
- verb: toss with a sharp movement so as to cause to turn over in the air
- verb: look through a book or other written material
- verb: cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation
- verb: reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
- adjective: marked by casual disrespect
Example: "A flip answer to serious question"
Search for flip at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia