Definitions of general:
- noun: a fact about the whole (as opposed to particular)
Example: "He discussed the general but neglected the particular"
- noun: a general officer of the highest rank
- noun: the head of a religious order or congregation
- verb: command as a general
Example: "We are generaled by an incompetent!"
- adjective: affecting the entire body
Example: "A general anesthetic"
- adjective: somewhat indefinite
Example: "Bearing a general resemblance to the original"
- adjective: prevailing among and common to the general public
Example: "The general discontent"
- adjective: not specialized or limited to one class of things
Example: "General studies"
- adjective: applying to all or most members of a category or group
Example: "The general public"
- adjective: of national scope
Example: "A general election"
- adjective: of worldwide scope or applicability
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #43702)
Search for general at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse