Definitions of grain:
- noun: the direction or texture of fibers found in wood or leather or stone or in a woven fabric
Example: "Saw the board across the grain"
- noun: foodstuff prepared from the starchy grains of cereal grasses
- noun: a small hard particle
Example: "A grain of sand"
- noun: dry seedlike fruit produced by the cereal grasses: e.g. wheat, barley, Indian corn
- noun: 1/7000 pound; equals a troy grain or 64.799 milligrams
- noun: 1/60 dram; equals an avoirdupois grain or 64.799 milligrams
- noun: used for pearls or diamonds: 50 mg or 1/4 carat
- verb: paint (a surface) to make it look like stone or wood
- verb: become granular
- verb: form into grains
- verb: thoroughly work in
Example: "His hands were grained with dirt"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #72447)
Search for grain at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...