Definitions of grant:
- noun: the act of providing a subsidy
- noun: a right or privilege that has been granted
- noun: 18th President of the United States; commander of the Union armies in the American Civil War (1822-1885)
- noun: United States actor (born in England) who was the elegant leading man in many films (1904-1986)
- noun: Scottish painter; cousin of Lytton Strachey and member of the Bloomsbury Group (1885-1978)
- noun: (law) a transfer of property by deed of conveyance
- noun: any monetary aid
- noun: a contract granting the right to operate a subsidiary business
- verb: transfer by deed
Example: "Grant land"
- verb: bestow, especially officially
Example: "Grant a degree"
- verb: let have
Example: "Grant permission"
- verb: give on the basis of merit
Example: "Funds are granted to qualified researchers"
- verb: allow to have
Example: "Grant a privilege"
- verb: be willing to concede
Example: "I grant you this much"
- verb: give over; surrender or relinquish to the physical control of another
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 1666 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #154)
- name: A male given name (common: 1 in 2777 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #343)
Search for grant at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse