Read some of the poems submitted to our vaccine poetry contest!
Definitions of head:
- noun: a single domestic animal
Example: "200 head of cattle"
- noun: a projection out from one end
Example: "The head of the nail, a pinhead is the head of a pin"
- noun: (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
- noun: the striking part of a tool
Example: "The head of the hammer"
- noun: (usually plural) an obverse side of a coin that bears the representation of a person's head
Example: "Call heads or tails!"
- noun: that part of a skeletal muscle that is away from the bone that it moves
- noun: the upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains
Example: "He stuck his head out the window"
- noun: the rounded end of a bone that bits into a rounded cavity in another bone to form a joint
Example: "The head of the humerus"
- noun: (grammar) the word in a grammatical constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole constituent
- noun: the front of a military formation or procession
Example: "The head of the column advanced boldly"
- noun: the top of something
Example: "The head of the stairs"
- noun: the foam or froth that accumulates at the top when you pour an effervescent liquid into a container
Example: "The beer had a large head of foam"
- noun: a rounded compact mass
Example: "The head of a comet"
- noun: a user of (usually soft) drugs
Example: "The office was full of secret heads"
- noun: a person who is in charge
Example: "The head of the whole operation"
- noun: an individual person
Example: "Tickets are $5 per head"
- noun: the pressure exerted by a fluid
Example: "A head of steam"
- noun: the length or height based on the size of a human or animal head
Example: "He is two heads taller than his little sister"
- noun: the tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates)
- noun: oral-genital stimulation
Example: "They say he gives good head"
- noun: a membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
- noun: (computer science) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk
- noun: that which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason
Example: "I couldn't get his words out of my head"
- noun: the subject matter at issue
Example: "Under the head of minor Roman poets"
- noun: a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer
- noun: forward movement
Example: "The ship made little headway against the gale"
- noun: a difficult juncture
Example: "Matters came to a head yesterday"
- noun: the part in the front or nearest the viewer
Example: "He was at the head of the column"
- noun: a dense clusters of flowers or foliage
Example: "A head of cauliflower"
- noun: a line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about
Example: "The heading seemed to have little to do with the text"
- noun: the source of water from which a stream arises
Example: "They tracked him back toward the head of the stream"
- noun: the educator who has executive authority for a school
- verb: be in charge of
Example: "Who is heading this project?"
- verb: form a head or come or grow to a head
Example: "The wheat headed early this year"
- verb: be in the front of or on top of
Example: "The list was headed by the name of the president"
- verb: be the first or leading member of (a group) and excel
Example: "This student heads the class"
- verb: take its rise
Example: "These rivers head from a mountain range in the Himalayas"
- verb: remove the head of
Example: "Head the fish"
- verb: to go or travel towards
Example: "Where is she heading"
- verb: travel in front of; go in advance of others
Example: "The procession was headed by John"
- verb: direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 8333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #962)
Search for head at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse