Definitions of heave:
- noun: throwing something heavy (with great effort)
Example: "He gave it a mighty heave"
- noun: an involuntary spasm of ineffectual vomiting
Example: "A bad case of the heaves"
- noun: the act of lifting something with great effort
- noun: (geology) a horizontal dislocation
- noun: an upward movement (especially a rhythmical rising and falling)
- noun: the act of raising something
- verb: nautical: to move or cause to move in a specified way, direction, or position
- verb: bend out of shape, as under pressure or from heat
- verb: utter a sound, as with obvious effort
Example: "She heaved a deep sigh when she saw the list of things to do"
- verb: lift or elevate
- verb: throw with great effort
- verb: make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit
- verb: rise and move, as in waves or billows
- verb: breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted
Search for heave at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse