Definitions of hit:
- noun: (baseball) a successful stroke in an athletic contest (especially in baseball)
Example: "He came all the way around on Williams' hit"
- noun: a conspicuous success
Example: "That song was his first hit and marked the beginning of his career"
- noun: the act of contacting one thing with another
Example: "Repeated hitting raised a large bruise"
- noun: a connection made via the internet to another website
Example: "WordNet gets many hits from users worldwide"
- noun: a murder carried out by an underworld syndicate
Example: "It has all the earmarks of a Mafia hit"
- noun: a dose of a narcotic drug
- noun: (physics) an brief event in which two or more bodies come together
- verb: drive something violently into a location
Example: "He hit his fist on the table"
- verb: cause to experience suddenly
Example: "An interesting idea hit her"
- verb: pay unsolicited and usually unwanted sexual attention to
Example: "He tries to hit on women in bars"
- verb: hit the intended target or goal
- verb: consume to excess
Example: "Hit the bottle"
- verb: affect or afflict suddenly, usually adversely
Example: "We were hit by really bad weather"
- verb: hit against; come into sudden contact with
Example: "The car hit a tree"
- verb: deal a blow to, either with the hand or with an instrument
Example: "He hit her hard in the face"
- verb: cause to move by striking
Example: "Hit a ball"
- verb: encounter by chance
- verb: gain points in a game
Example: "He hit a home run"
- verb: make a strategic, offensive, assault against an enemy, opponent, or a target
- verb: hit with a missile from a weapon
- verb: produce by manipulating keys or strings of musical instruments, also metaphorically
- verb: reach a point in time, or a certain state or level
Example: "The thermometer hit 100 degrees"
- verb: kill intentionally and with premeditation
- verb: reach a destination, either real or abstract
Example: "We hit Detroit by noon"
Search for hit at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse