Definitions of intimate:
- noun: someone to whom private matters are confided
- verb: give to understand
- verb: imply as a possibility
- adjective: involved in a sexual relationship
Example: "The intimate (or sexual) relations between husband and wife"
- adjective: marked by close aquaintance, association, or familiarity
Example: "Intimate friend"
- adjective: thoroughly acquainted with through study or experience
Example: "This girl, so intimate with nature-W.H.Hudson"
- adjective: having mutual interests or affections; of established friendship
Example: "Pretending she is on an intimate footing with those she slanders"
- adjective: having or fostering a warm or friendly atmosphere; especially through smallness and informality
Example: "An intimate cocktail lounge"
- adjective: innermost or essential
Example: "The intimate structure of matter"
Search for intimate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse