Definitions of knock:
- noun: the act of hitting vigorously
- noun: negative criticism
- noun: a bad experience
Example: "The school of hard knocks"
- noun: the sound of knocking (as on a door or in an engine or bearing)
Example: "The knocking grew louder"
- noun: a vigorous blow
Example: "The sudden knock floored him"
- verb: find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws
Example: "Don't knock the food--it's free"
- verb: deliver a sharp blow or push :"He knocked the glass clear across the room"
- verb: rap with the knuckles
Example: "Knock on the door"
- verb: knock against with force or violence
- verb: sound like a car engine that is firing too early
- verb: make light, repeated taps on a surface
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #56249)
Search for knock at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse