Definitions of lance:
- noun: a surgical knife with a pointed double-edged blade; used for punctures and small incisions
- noun: a long pointed rod used as a weapon
- noun: an implement with a shaft and barbed point used for catching fish
- verb: move quickly, as if by cutting one's way
Example: "Planes lanced towards the shore"
- verb: open by piercing with a lancet
Example: "Lance a boil"
- verb: pierce with a lance, as in a knights' fight
- name: A male given name (common: 1 in 1587 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #245)
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 20000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2622)
Search for lance at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia