Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of last:
- noun: a person's dying act; the last thing a person can do
Example: "He breathed his last"
- noun: holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes
- noun: a unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels
- noun: a unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds
- noun: the last or lowest in an ordering or series
Example: "He was the last to leave"
- noun: the concluding parts of an event or occurrence
Example: "I had to miss the last of the movie"
- noun: the time at which life ends; continuing until dead
Example: "A struggle to the last"
- noun: the temporal end; the concluding time
- verb: persist or be long; in time
Example: "The bad weather lasted for three days"
- verb: continue to live; endure or last
- adjective: highest in extent or degree
Example: "To the last measure of human endurance"
- adjective: most unlikely or unsuitable
Example: "The last person we would have suspected"
- adjective: occurring at the time of death
Example: "His last words"
- adjective: lowest in rank or importance
Example: "Last prize"
- adjective: coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining
Example: "The last time I saw Paris"
- adjective: conclusive in a process or progression
Example: "A last resort"
- adjective: not to be altered or undone
Example: "The arbiter will have the last say"
- adjective: in accord with the most fashionable ideas or style
Example: "The last thing in swimwear"
- adjective: occurring at or forming an end or termination
Example: "The last days of the dinosaurs"
- adverb: more recently than any other time
Example: "I saw him last in London"
- adverb: the item at the end
Example: "Last, I'll discuss family values"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #33428)
Search for last at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse