Definitions of late:
- adjective: being or occurring at an advanced period of time or after a usual or expected time
Example: "Late evening"
- adjective: at or toward an end or late period or stage of development
Example: "The late phase of feudalism"
- adjective: of a later stage in the development of a language or literature; used especially of dead languages
Example: "Late Greek"
- adjective: after the expected or usual time; delayed
Example: "A belated birthday card"
- adverb: later than usual or than expected
Example: "The train arrived late"
- adverb: at an advanced age or stage
Example: "She married late"
- adverb: in the recent past
Example: "Lately the rules have been enforced"
- adverb: to an advanced time
Example: "Talked late into the evening"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #82250)
Search for late at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia