Definitions of law:
- noun: the learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system
Example: "He studied law at Yale"
- noun: a rule or body of rules of conduct inherent in human nature and essential to or binding upon human society
- noun: a generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature
Example: "The laws of thermodynamics"
- noun: legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity
Example: "There is a law against kidnapping"
- noun: the collection of rules imposed by authority
Example: "Civilization presupposes respect for the law"
- noun: the branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do
- noun: the force of policemen and officers
Example: "The law came looking for him"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 9090 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1088)
Search for law at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse