Definitions of lay:
- noun: a narrative poem of popular origin
- noun: a narrative song with a recurrent refrain
- verb: impose as a duty, burden, or punishment
Example: "Lay a responsibility on someone"
- verb: put in a horizontal position
Example: "Lay the books on the table"
- verb: lay eggs
Example: "This hen doesn't lay"
- verb: prepare or position for action or operation
Example: "Lay a fire"
- verb: put into a certain place or abstract location
- adjective: not of or from a profession
Example: "A lay opinion as to the cause of the disease"
- adjective: concerning those not members of the clergy
Example: "The lay ministry"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 12500 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1530)
Search for lay at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse