Definitions of life:
- noun: living things collectively
Example: "The oceans are teeming with life"
- noun: the experience of living; the course of human events and activities
Example: "He could no longer cope with the complexities of life"
- noun: a motive for living
Example: "Pottery was his life"
- noun: a living person
Example: "His heroism saved a life"
- noun: the organic phenomenon that distinguishes living organisms from nonliving ones
Example: "There is no life on the moon"
- noun: the course of existence of an individual; the actions and events that occur in living
Example: "He hoped for a new life in Australia"
- noun: a characteristic state or mode of living
Example: "Social life"
- noun: the period during which something is functional (as between birth and death)
Example: "The battery had a short life"
- noun: the period between birth and the present time
Example: "I have known him all his life"
- noun: the period from the present until death
Example: "He appointed himself emperor for life"
- noun: animation and energy in action or expression
Example: "It was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
- noun: an account of the series of events making up a person's life
- noun: the condition of living or the state of being alive
Example: "While there's life there's hope"
- noun: a prison term lasting as long as the prisoner lives
Example: "He got life for killing the guard"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #46570)
Search for life at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse