Definitions of melt:
- noun: the process whereby heat changes something from a solid to a liquid
Example: "The power failure caused a refrigerator melt that was a disaster"
- verb: become less intense and fade away gradually
Example: "Her resistance melted under his charm"
- verb: lose its distinct outline or shape; blend gradually
Example: "Hundreds of actors were melting into the scene"
- verb: reduce or cause to be reduced from a solid to a liquid state, usually by heating
Example: "Melt butter"
- verb: become less clearly visible or distinguishable; disappear gradually or seemingly
Example: "The tree trunks are melting into the forest at dusk"
- verb: become more relaxed, easygoing, or genial
- verb: become or cause to become soft or liquid
Example: "The sun melted the ice"
Search for melt at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse