Definitions of moderate:
- noun: a person who takes a position in the political center
- verb: preside over
Example: "John moderated the discussion"
- verb: make less fast or intense
Example: "Moderate your speed"
- verb: make less strong or intense; soften
- verb: restrain or temper
- verb: make less severe or harsh
Example: "He moderated his tone when the students burst out in tears"
- verb: lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits
Example: "Moderate your alcohol intake"
- adjective: not extreme
Example: "A moderate penalty"
- adjective: being within reasonable or average limits; not excessive or extreme
Example: "Moderate prices"
- adjective: marked by avoidance of extravagance or extremes
Example: "Moderate in his demands"
Search for moderate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia