Definitions of notional:
- adjective: having descriptive value as distinguished from syntactic category
Example: "Sex is a notional category"
- adjective: not based on fact or investigation
Example: "A notional figure of cost helps in determining production costs"
- adjective: indulging in or influenced by fancy
Example: "All the notional vagaries of childhood"
- adjective: being (or being of the nature of) a notion or concept
Example: "To improve notional comprehension"
- adjective: not based on fact; dubious
Example: "To create a notional world for oneself"
Search for notional at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia