Definitions of operative:
- noun: a person secretly employed in espionage for a government
- noun: someone who can be employed as a detective to collect information
- adjective: effective; producing a desired effect
Example: "The operative word"
- adjective: of or relating to a surgical operation
Example: "Operative surgery"
- adjective: being in force or having or exerting force
Example: "Operative regulations"
- adjective: (of e.g. a machine) performing or capable of performing
- adjective: relating to or requiring or amenable to treatment by surgery especially as opposed to medicine
Example: "Operative dentistry"
Search for operative at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia