Definitions of pick up:
- verb: recieve (perceptual input)
Example: "Pick up a signal"
- verb: buy casually or spontaneously
- verb: get in addition, as an increase
- verb: meet someone for sexual purposes
Example: "He always tries to pick up girls in bars"
- verb: lift out or reflect from a background
- verb: take up by hand
- verb: give a passenger or a hitchhiker a lift
- verb: take and lift upward
- verb: perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily
- verb: gather or collect
Example: "They pick up our trash twice a week"
- verb: eat by pecking at, like a bird
- verb: get better
- verb: gain or regain energy
- verb: fill with high spirits; fill with optimism
- verb: get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally
- verb: take into custody
Search for pick up at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse