Definitions of picture:
- noun: a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface
Example: "They showed us the pictures of their wedding"
- noun: a typical example of some state or quality
Example: "The very picture of a modern general"
- noun: illustrations used to decorate or explain a text
Example: "The dictionary had many pictures"
- noun: a situation treated as an observable object
Example: "The political picture is favorable"
- noun: graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface
Example: "His pictures hang in the Louvre"
- noun: a clear and telling mental image
Example: "He described his mental picture of his assailant"
- noun: the visible part of a television transmission
Example: "They could still receive the sound but the picture was gone"
- noun: a form of entertainment that enacts a story by a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement
- noun: a graphic or vivid verbal description
Example: "Too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures"
- verb: show in, or as in, a picture
- verb: imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind
Search for picture at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2023 Datamuse