Definitions of place:
- noun: an abstract mental location
Example: "He has a special place in my thoughts"
- noun: the passage that is being read
Example: "He lost his place on the page"
- noun: an item on a list or in a sequence
Example: "In the second place"
- noun: any area set aside for a particular purpose
Example: "Who owns this place?"
- noun: a general vicinity
Example: "He comes from a place near Chicago"
- noun: a particular situation
Example: "If you were in my place what would you do?"
- noun: proper or designated social situation
Example: "He overstepped his place"
- noun: proper or appropriate position or location
Example: "A woman's place is no longer in the kitchen"
- noun: where you live at a particular time
Example: "Your place or mine?"
- noun: a public square with room for pedestrians
Example: "Grosvenor Place"
- noun: the particular portion of space occupied by a physical object
Example: "He put the lamp back in its place"
- noun: a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane)
Example: "He sat in someone else's place"
- noun: a point located with respect to surface features of some region
Example: "This is a nice place for a picnic"
- noun: the function or position properly or customarily occupied or served by another
Example: "Took his place"
- noun: a blank area
- noun: a job in an organization
- verb: place somebody in a particular situation or location
Example: "He was placed on probation"
- verb: assign to (a job or a home)
- verb: identify the location or place of
- verb: take a place in a competition; often followed by an ordinal
- verb: estimate
- verb: to arrange for
Example: "Place a phone call, place a bet"
- verb: sing a note with the correct pitch
- verb: finish second or better in a horse or dog race
Example: "He bet $2 on number six to place"
- verb: assign a location to
- verb: recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something
- verb: intend (something) to move towards a certain goal
- verb: put into a certain place or abstract location
Example: "Place emphasis on a certain point"
- verb: make an investment
- verb: locate
- verb: assign to a station
- verb: assign a rank or rating to
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 33333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #4438)
Search for place at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse