Definitions of puff:
- noun: a slow inhalation (as of tobacco smoke)
Example: "He took a puff on his pipe"
- noun: exaggerated praise (as for promotional purposes)
- noun: a light inflated pastry or puff shell
- noun: a short light gust of air
- noun: forceful exhalation through the nose or mouth
Example: "He blew out all the candles with a single puff"
- noun: a soft spherical object made from fluffy fibers; for applying powder to the skin
- noun: bedding made of two layers of cloth filled with stuffing and stitched together
- noun: thick cushion used as a seat
- verb: to swell or cause to enlarge, "Her faced puffed up from the drugs"
- verb: speak in a blustering or scornful manner
Example: "A puffing kind of man"
- verb: praise extravagantly
Example: "The critics puffed up this Broadway production"
- verb: blow hard and loudly
Example: "He huffed and puffed as he made his way up the mountain"
- verb: smoke and exhale strongly
Example: "Puff a cigar"
- verb: suck in or take (air)
- verb: make proud or conceited
Example: "The sudden fame puffed her ego"
- verb: breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted
- adjective: gathered for protruding fullness
Example: "Puff sleeves"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #19483)
Search for puff at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse