Definitions of quench:
- verb: electronics: suppress (sparking) when the current is cut off in an inductive circuit, or suppress (an oscillation or discharge) in a component or device
- verb: cool by plunging into cold water
Example: "Quench metal"
- verb: reduce the degree of (luminescence or phosphorescence) in (excited molecules or a material) by adding a suitable substance
- verb: satisfy (thirst)
Example: "The cold water quenched his thirst"
- verb: suppress or crush completely
Example: "Quench a rebellion"
- verb: put out, as of fires, flames, or lights
Example: "Quench the flames"
Search for quench at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia