Definitions of raise:
- noun: increasing the size of a bet (as in poker)
Example: "I'll see your raise and double it"
- noun: the amount a salary is increased
Example: "He got a 3% raise"
- noun: the act of raising something
Example: "Fireman learn several different raises for getting ladders up"
- noun: an upward slope or grade (as in a road)
- verb: collect funds for a specific purpose
Example: "The President raised several million dollars for his college"
- verb: invigorate or heighten
- verb: bring (a surface, a design, etc.) into relief and cause to project
Example: "Raised edges"
- verb: multiply (a number) by itself a specified number of times: 8 is 2 raised to the power 3
- verb: establish radio communications with
Example: "They managed to raise Hanoi last night"
- verb: activate or stir up
Example: "Raise a mutiny"
- verb: cause to be heard or known; express or utter
Example: "Raise a shout"
- verb: pronounce (vowels) by bringing the tongue closer to the roof of the mouth
Example: "Raise your `o'"
- verb: put forward for consideration or discussion
Example: "Raise the question of promotions"
- verb: bet more than the previous player
- verb: in bridge: bid (one's partner's suit) at a higher level
- verb: raise the level or amount of something
Example: "Raise my salary"
- verb: evoke or call forth, with or as if by magic
Example: "Raise the specter of unemployment"
- verb: construct, build, or erect
Example: "Raise a barn"
- verb: create a disturbance, especially by making a great noise
Example: "Raise hell"
- verb: raise from a lower to a higher position
Example: "Raise your hands"
- verb: cause to puff up with a leaven
- verb: bring up
Example: "Raise a family"
- verb: put an end to
Example: "Raise a siege"
- verb: raise in rank or condition
- verb: cause to become alive again
Example: "Raise from the dead"
- verb: cultivate by growing, often involving improvements by means of agricultural techniques
Example: "We raise hogs here"
- verb: move upwards
- verb: increase
- verb: cause to assemble or enlist in the military
Example: "Raise an army"
- verb: give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
- verb: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
Example: "Raise a smile"
Search for raise at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse