The RhymeZone Poetry Contest is back.
Definitions of rank:
- noun: a row or line of people (especially soldiers or police) standing abreast of one another
Example: "The entrance was guarded by ranks of policemen"
- noun: relative status
Example: "His salary was determined by his rank and seniority"
- noun: the ordinary members of an organization (such as the enlisted soldiers of an army)
Example: "The strike was supported by the union rank and file"
- noun: the body of members of an organization or group
Example: "They found dissension in their own ranks"
- noun: position in a social hierarchy
- verb: take precedence or surpass others in rank
- verb: take or have a position relative to others
Example: "This painting ranks among the best in the Western World"
- verb: assign a rank or rating to
Example: "How would you rank these students?"
- adjective: very offensive in smell or taste
Example: "A rank cigar"
- adjective: growing profusely
Example: "Rank jungle vegetation"
- adjective: very fertile; producing profuse growth
Example: "Rank earth"
- adjective: conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible
Example: "Rank treachery"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #10855)
Search for rank at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse