Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of reference:
- noun: the act of referring or consulting
Example: "Reference to an encyclopedia produced the answer"
- noun: the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to
- noun: the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to
Example: "He argued that reference is a consequence of conditioned reflexes"
- noun: a publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to
Example: "He carried an armful of references back to his desk"
- noun: a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts
Example: "He contributed articles to the basic reference work on that topic"
- noun: a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability
Example: "Requests for character references are all to often answered evasively"
- noun: a remark that calls attention to something or someone
Example: "The speaker made several references to his wife"
- noun: an indicator that orients you generally
Example: "It is used as a reference for comparing the heating and the electrical energy involved"
- noun: a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage
- verb: refer to
Example: "He referenced his colleagues' work"
Search for reference at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse