Definitions of refractory:
- noun: lining consisting of material with a high melting point; used to line the inside walls of a furnace
- adjective: not responding to treatment
Example: "A refractory case of acne"
- adjective: resistant to authority or control
Example: "As refractory as a mule"
- adjective: stubbornly resistant to authority or control
Example: "A refractory child"
- adjective: marked by stubborn resistance to and defiant of authority or guidance
Example: "Everything revolves around a refractory individual genius"
Search for refractory at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia