Definitions of register:
- noun: a regulator (as a sliding plate) for regulating the flow of air into a furnace or other heating device
- noun: an air passage (usually in the floor or a wall of a room) for admitting or excluding heated air from the room
- noun: (computer science) memory device that is the part of computer memory that has a specific address and that is used to hold information of a specific kind
- noun: (music) the timbre that is characteristic of a certain range and manner of production of the human voice or of different pipe organ stops or of different musical instruments
- noun: an official written record of names or events or transactions
- noun: a book in which names and transactions are listed
- noun: a cashbox with an adding machine to register transactions; used in shops to add up the bill
- verb: show in one's face
Example: "Her surprise did not register"
- verb: enroll to vote
Example: "Register for an election"
- verb: record in writing; enter into a book of names or events or transactions
- verb: enter into someone's consciousness
Example: "Did this event register in your parents' minds?"
- verb: send by registered mail
Example: "I'd like to register this letter"
- verb: manipulate the registers of an organ
- verb: be aware of
Example: "Did you register any change when I pressed the button?"
- verb: have one's name listed as a candidate for several parties
- verb: indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
- verb: record in a public office or in a court of law
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 33333 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3537)
Search for register at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse