Definitions of relax:
- verb: become less severe or strict
Example: "The rules relaxed after the new director arrived"
- verb: make less severe or strict
Example: "The government relaxed the curfew after most of the rebels were caught"
- verb: become less tense, less formal, or less restrained, and assume a friendlier manner
Example: "Our new colleague relaxed when he saw that we were a friendly group"
- verb: cause to feel relaxed
Example: "A hot bath always relaxes me"
- verb: become less tense, rest, or take one's ease
Example: "He relaxed in the hot tub"
- verb: make less tight
Example: "Relax the tension on the rope"
- verb: become loose or looser or less tight
Example: "The rope relaxed"
- verb: make less active or fast
Example: "Don't relax your efforts now"
Search for relax at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse