Definitions of respect:
- noun: (usually preceded by `in') a detail or point
Example: "It differs in that respect"
- noun: an attitude of admiration or esteem
Example: "She lost all respect for him"
- noun: behavior intended to please your parents
Example: "He went to law school out of respect for his father's wishes"
- noun: a courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard
Example: "Be sure to give my respects to the dean"
- noun: courteous regard for people's feelings
Example: "Out of respect for his privacy"
- noun: a feeling of friendship and esteem
Example: "He inspires respect"
- noun: the condition of being honored (esteemed or respected or well regarded)
- verb: show respect towards
- verb: regard highly; think much of
Example: "I respect his judgement"
Search for respect at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia