Definitions of rip:
- noun: a stretch of turbulent water in a river or the sea caused by one current flowing into or across another current
- noun: an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart
Example: "There was a rip in his pants"
- noun: the act of rending or ripping or splitting something
Example: "He gave the envelope a vigorous rip"
- noun: a dissolute man in fashionable society
- verb: move precipitously or violently
Example: "The tornado ripped along the coast"
- verb: criticize or abuse strongly and violently
Example: "The candidate ripped into his opponent mercilessly"
- verb: cut (wood) along the grain
- verb: tear or be torn violently
Example: "The curtain ripped from top to bottom"
Search for rip at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia