Definitions of Scotch:
- noun: whiskey distilled in Scotland; especially whiskey made from malted barley in a pot still
- noun: a slight surface cut (especially a notch that is made to keep a tally)
- verb: make a small cut or score into
- verb: hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of
- adjective: avoiding waste
Example: "`scotch' is used only informally"
- adjective: of or relating to or characteristic of Scotland or its people or culture or its English dialect or Gaelic language
Example: "`Scotch' is in disfavor with Scottish people and is used primarily outside Scotland except in such frozen phrases as `Scotch broth' or `Scotch whiskey' or `Scotch plaid'"
Search for Scotch at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia