Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of second:
- noun: a speech seconding a motion
Example: "Do I hear a second?"
- noun: the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
- noun: a 60th part of a minute of arc
Example: "The treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here"
- noun: following the first in an ordering or series
Example: "He came in a close second"
- noun: 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
- noun: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near 2nd base
- noun: merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name
- noun: the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle
Example: "He had to shift down into second to make the hill"
- noun: a particular point in time
- noun: an indefinitely short time
- verb: transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment
Example: "The officer was seconded for duty overseas"
- verb: give support or one's approval to
Example: "I'll second that motion"
- adjective: coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude
- adjective: having the second highest gear ratio
Example: "Second gear"
- adjective: coming next after first
Example: "A second chance"
- adjective: a part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first
Example: "Second flute"
- adverb: in the second place
Example: "Second, we must consider the economy"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #78420)
Search for second at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse