Definitions of shake:
- noun: grasping and shaking a person's hand (as to acknowledge an introduction or to agree on a contract)
- noun: a note that alternates rapidly with another note a semitone above it
- noun: building material used as siding or roofing
- noun: causing to move repeatedly from side to side
- noun: reflex shaking caused by cold or fear or excitement
- noun: frothy drink of milk and flavoring and sometimes fruit or ice cream
- verb: get rid of
Example: "I couldn't shake the car that was following me"
- verb: bring to a specified condition by or as if by shaking
Example: "He was shaken from his dreams"
- verb: shake (a body part) to communicate a greeting, feeling, or cognitive state
Example: "Shake one's head"
- verb: undermine or cause to waver
Example: "My faith has been shaken"
- verb: move with or as if with a tremor
- verb: move or cause to move back and forth
- verb: stir the feelings, emotions, or peace of
- verb: shake or vibrate rapidly and intensively
- verb: move back and forth or sideways
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #18444)
Search for shake at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse