Definitions of slide:
- noun: the act of moving smoothly along a surface while remaining in contact with it
Example: "His slide didn't stop until the bottom of the hill"
- noun: a transparency mounted in a frame; viewed with a slide projector
- noun: a small flat rectangular piece of glass on which specimens can be mounted for microscopic study
- noun: plaything consisting of a sloping chute down which children can slide
- noun: (geology) the descent of a large mass of earth or rocks or snow etc.
- noun: sloping channel through which things can descend
- noun: (music) rapid sliding up or down the musical scale
Example: "The violinist was indulgent with his swoops and slides"
- verb: move smoothly along a surface
- verb: to pass or move unobtrusively or smoothly
- verb: move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner
Search for slide at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2022 Datamuse